Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Roller skates & Amy Grant



I added some old Amy Grant songs to my blog's music player just for the fun of it. Whenever I hear anything from her old albums, it takes me back. It's amazing how certain smells and songs can bring back so many memories.

When me and my best friend, Rachel Winford, lived in Eden Ridge, we would roller skate in my garage - usually without cars in it...sometimes not. We would blast Amy Grant cassette tapes and skate in the driveway and into the garage. When it rained, we would close the garage doors and just skate inside. I can remember pushing off the garage door and learning how to skate backwards! As I listen to Amy's old stuff, like, "Baby, Baby", I can actually smell the smells of that garage, feel the rust on the pole we would twirl around, hear my mom yelling, "Kathryn, turn it down!" or "It's time for dinner"! I recall sometimes skating into the rec room we had (with a ping-pong table, pool table, funky carpet we could mess up, old couches, Sega or Nintendo hooked up and a closet FULL of board games GALORE! I never got in trouble for skating in that room either. There are so many memories I carry with me from that house in Eden Ridge. But mainly I just remember skating for hours upon hours with no worries in the world. Just the worry of flipping the cassette over for more Amy!

I thought I would share this little bit of innocence. It seems harder and harder to come across moments like these the older you get. Maybe you just forget them. Well, I refuse to. Here's to keeping treasured silly, memories alive!




No comments: